Thursday 17 October 2013

The 'Good' Monster

Today, I was woken up by a different monster.

It all started at 4am, more or less as usual. I woke up with thoughts about what was going at work, some decisions taken affecting my department, and taking possibly best people out of my team. Al for business priorities. Well, I can accept it, but I am not jumping happy about it. So it all started with mulling over of what I should do, shall I stand in the way and protect my team (but jeopardise perhaps more important company goals), or let things go (will I appear weak? Or will it be taken against me later on, when the performance of my department goes down?), and so on.

And then something positive happened. I thought that if there is a business need, there may be an opportunity for me. It may be the ocean wave I have been waiting for, so perhaps I should jump on it and have a ride. I remained awake until at least 5 am, putting together the contents of the email to my boss, being very enthusiastic and optimistic. I am going to send it today.

There is of course a warning light that I may be getting a bit hyper. Well, it does happen from time to time, and it makes the life beautiful and worth living. I just need work through the disappointment in case my plan does not work. But let's not start with negative assumption.

I need to keep the good monster in a cage though. Or at least on a strong leash. I can use his energy, and need to steer at the same time so he drags me where I really want to get.

No comments:

Post a Comment