Wednesday 30 October 2013

Useless stuff does become useful form time to time.

I had an exhausting day yesterday, lots of things at work, plus change of contact lenses to new ones causing me see everything in triplicate (until I get used to them), and apparently a little contusion of my knee, as I was unable to run in the evening. But interestingly, all that followed by a very nice dream at night; going back to my high school, and a huge scouting hike I took part in (does anyone organise such events these days? I doubt it). It was set up in a beautiful countryside, in the area of very old mountains in Europe. We chose a very intriguing route for the hike - it was called "blind route". The idea was that we would not know until the morning where we would be going, and we would only be getting a cue (a rebus, or a quote, etc.) and we had to work out the destination and the route of the day. It was quite fund actually.

On that day, we got a map - or rather a sketch of a map. It had a number of points marked on it, the destination point, and the angles between the lines going from the destination to the points. That was it. And I did work it out immediately, my passion for studying maps came very handy in that situation, as I could immediately visualise that the points were the peaks of the mountains in the area.

It was a great feeling.

I get this great feeling these days too. I know that my interests and thoughts are not mainstream, but they sometimes work. Especially when the mainstream ones do not.

So I have a choice. Either be myself, and feel happy from time to time when what I am and what I know comes useful, is needed and appreciated. But this means that for most of the time I am seen as an odd, eccentric, useless person.

Or I can force myself to join the mainstream. Pretend that I am happy, and people will like me.

Or be somewhere in between?

No comments:

Post a Comment